Skip to content
August 17, 2026
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Youtube
  • tiktok
MILLENNIUM NEWS 24/7

MILLENNIUM NEWS 24/7

Bridging The Community’s World Wide

  • Home
  • IP TV LIVE
  • U.S.News
  • LOCAL ELECTION
  • State News
    • Alabama
    • Alaska
    • Arizona
    • Arkansas
    • California
    • Colorado
    • Connecticut
    • Delaware
    • Florida
    • Georgia
    • Hawaii
    • Idaho
    • Illinois
    • Indiana
    • Iowa
    • Kansas
    • Kentucky
    • Louisiana
    • Maryland
    • Massachusetts
    • Michigan
    • Maine
    • Minnesota
    • Mississippi
    • Missouri
    • Montana
    • Nebraska
    • Nevada
    • New Hampshire
    • New Jersey
    • New Mexico
    • New York
    • North Carolina
    • North Dakota
    • Oregon
    • Pennsylvania
    • Rhode Island
    • South Carolina
    • South Dakota
    • Tennessee
    • Texas
    • Virginia
    • Washington
    • West Virginia
    • U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Weather
  • Business
  • Health News
  • Urban Cultural Programs
  • ADVERTISEMENT
  • About Us
  • Contact us
Live TV

Nigeria’s leader increases wages to avert a strike that could shut down the government

Nigeria’s leader increased the wages of some government workers in last-minute efforts to appease labor unions whose planned strike this week could shut down government offices in all sectors of Africa’s largest economy.

Low-grade workers will in the next six months be paid an additional 25,000 naira ($32) a month, President Bola Tinubu said Sunday in a nationwide broadcast to mark Nigeria’s 63rd independence anniversary.

The increase expected to take effect this month takes the minimum wage to 55,000 naira ($71), still far below the 200,000 naira ($258) the unions had requested. The labor unions did not immediately comment on Tinubu’s announcement.

The unions representing Nigeria’s government workers announced they will go on an indefinite strike starting Tuesday to protest the government’s austerity measures.

In office since May 29, Tinubu’s policies aimed at fixing Nigeria’s ailing economy have more than doubled the cost of living for more than 210 million people who already were grappling with a surging inflation. It hit an 18-year high of 25.8% in August.

After he ended the yearslong expensive subsidies for gas on his first day in office, the price of petrol more than doubled, resulting in a similar hike in the price of other commodities. The government’s devaluation of the currency further increased prices, including food.

Talks with the labor unions have stalled and a slow start to several intervention efforts resulted in last week’s announcement of the indefinite strike. On Sunday, Tinubu said the new wage increase will enhance the workers’ pay “without causing undue inflation.”

He again appealed to Nigerians to bear with his government during the economic hardship, saying that the burdens they face today “should have been shed years ago.”

“I wish today’s difficulties did not exist. But we must endure if we are to reach the good side of our future,” he said.

To boost employment and incomes, Tinubu said his administration is providing investment funding for enterprises and will start giving cash handouts to additional 15 million “vulnerable households” as part of a social welfare program.

 

 

About Author

dreamboy

See author's posts

Post navigation

Previous North Macedonia national park’s rising bear population poses a threat to residents
Next Jrue Holiday being traded to Boston, AP source says, as Portland continues making moves

Related Stories

Death Toll from Capsized Ferry in Zimbabwe Rises to 92

Death Toll from Capsized Ferry in Zimbabwe Rises to 92

Gaza Flotilla Sets Sail from the UK in Bid to Break Israeli Siege

Gaza Flotilla Sets Sail from the UK in Bid to Break Israeli Siege

Supreme Court Upholds Election Ban on Russia’s Opposition Party Yabloko, Deputy Head Imprisoned

Supreme Court Upholds Election Ban on Russia’s Opposition Party Yabloko, Deputy Head Imprisoned

Entertainment

The Trial of Duane ‘Keffe D’ Davis: Three Decades Since Tupac Shakur’s Death 1

The Trial of Duane ‘Keffe D’ Davis: Three Decades Since Tupac Shakur’s Death

Kennedy Center Votes to Restore Trump’s Name to Venue While Planning Extensive Renovations 2

Kennedy Center Votes to Restore Trump’s Name to Venue While Planning Extensive Renovations

Eurovision to Ban Countries at War from Hosting Contest: Implications Explored 3

Eurovision to Ban Countries at War from Hosting Contest: Implications Explored

South Koreans Beat the Heat with ‘Silent Disco’ Pool Party During Record Heat Wave 4

South Koreans Beat the Heat with ‘Silent Disco’ Pool Party During Record Heat Wave

The Concentration of Media Ownership in America: Six Giants Control 90% of the Market 5

The Concentration of Media Ownership in America: Six Giants Control 90% of the Market

The Tragic Death of Mexican TikToker Cesar Gastelum During Livestream 6

The Tragic Death of Mexican TikToker Cesar Gastelum During Livestream

Ariana Grande’s new video sets off talk about body and beauty standards — again 7

Ariana Grande’s new video sets off talk about body and beauty standards — again

Top News

CAIR Criticizes Abbott’s Stance on Texas Airport Wudu Stations as an ‘Anti-Muslim Stunt’

CAIR Criticizes Abbott’s Stance on Texas Airport Wudu Stations as an ‘Anti-Muslim Stunt’

Death Toll from Capsized Ferry in Zimbabwe Rises to 92

Death Toll from Capsized Ferry in Zimbabwe Rises to 92

Gaza Flotilla Sets Sail from the UK in Bid to Break Israeli Siege

Gaza Flotilla Sets Sail from the UK in Bid to Break Israeli Siege

Supreme Court Upholds Election Ban on Russia’s Opposition Party Yabloko, Deputy Head Imprisoned

Supreme Court Upholds Election Ban on Russia’s Opposition Party Yabloko, Deputy Head Imprisoned

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Youtube
  • tiktok
Editor: Nur M Tofader, Office: 250 Park Avenue, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10177 & Tell: 718 893 0002 (Office), 7188441300, +1212 401 6266, e-mail: Info@millenniuamtv24.com, e-mail: Info@millenniuamnews24.com, Copyright © Millennium News 24/7 | DarkNews by AF themes.