Skip to content
May 20, 2026
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Youtube
  • tiktok
MILLENNIUM NEWS 24/7

MILLENNIUM NEWS 24/7

Bridging The Community’s World Wide

  • Home
  • IP TV LIVE
  • U.S.News
  • LOCAL ELECTION
  • State News
    • Alabama
    • Alaska
    • Arizona
    • Arkansas
    • California
    • Colorado
    • Connecticut
    • Delaware
    • Florida
    • Georgia
    • Hawaii
    • Idaho
    • Illinois
    • Indiana
    • Iowa
    • Kansas
    • Kentucky
    • Louisiana
    • Maryland
    • Massachusetts
    • Michigan
    • Maine
    • Minnesota
    • Mississippi
    • Missouri
    • Montana
    • Nebraska
    • Nevada
    • New Hampshire
    • New Jersey
    • New Mexico
    • New York
    • North Carolina
    • North Dakota
    • Oregon
    • Pennsylvania
    • Rhode Island
    • South Carolina
    • South Dakota
    • Tennessee
    • Texas
    • Virginia
    • Washington
    • West Virginia
    • U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Weather
  • Business
  • Health News
  • ADVERTISEMENT
  • About Us
  • Contact us
Live TV

Officials identify two workers — one killed, one still missing — after Kentucky coal plant collapse

Officials have released the names of two workers trapped when a coal mine preparation plant collapsed earlier this week in eastern Kentucky as the search continues to find one of those workers still missing in the rubble.

Martin County Judge Executive Lon Lafferty identified the men as Billy Ray Daniels and 57-year-old Alvin Nees, news outlets report. Daniels died amid rescue efforts at the scene, and Nees has not yet been located. The men from neighboring Pike County were doing contracting work as part of the building’s demolition.

Lafferty said Friday that the families of both men have been to the site. His team spent time with the families Thursday, which he described as a “very, very tough emotional day. ” He said the Nees family is “still holding out hope and prayer” he will be found alive.

“They are very strong in their faith and their convictions in God,” he said, adding: “Obviously, it’s a very, very trying time.”

Crews have begun removing layers of rubble and debris at the Martin Mine Prep Plant in Martin County where an 11-story abandoned building crashed down Tuesday night while undergoing work toward its demolition. Officials briefly made contact with Daniels, but announced Wednesday he died amid rescue efforts. Authorities said they have not had any communication with the second worker since the building collapsed at around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in Inez, a town of about 500 people.

Director of Kentucky Emergency Management Col. Jeremy Slinker said Friday the collapse might be the largest structural collapse in Kentucky history.

“We recognize how large of an operation and how unique this is — especially for rural Kentucky — because it’s just not what you think of when you think of large structural collapses,” he said.

He said workers have been working grueling shifts around the clock delving through layers of steel and concrete “section by section.” The Red Cross and local churches have provided food and other relief on-site.

“We’re doing the best we can to limit fatigue that would get to any level of dangerous, but it’s challenging work,” Slinker said.

The state environmental response team came in Thursday night to search the site for areas of “potential contamination” and took samples from the site for testing to monitor for any toxic materials or other safety hazards, Slinker said. He said they’ve been instructed by the environmental response team on how to mitigate the amount of dust workers are exposed to while scraping through the rubble.

Crews combed through voids under the wreckage with search dogs and listening devices Wednesday and Thursday, a line of emergency vehicles surrounding the wreckage of the once 11-story building, now flattened onto itself. In the second full day of rescue efforts, officials are using heavy equipment to remove the debris into smaller piles for the search, Lafferty said.

Several state agencies have begun investigations into the collapse and possible causes, including Kentucky state police.

The Kentucky Division of Occupational Safety and Health Compliance said one of its officers was on site and that an inspection had been opened with Lexington Coal Company LLC, which had contracted with Skeens Enterprises LLC for site demolition and salvage operations. The division said the investigation could take up to six months to complete.

 

 

About Author

dreamboy

See author's posts

Post navigation

Previous Car crashes through gate at South Carolina nuclear plant before pop-up barrier stops it
Next Grim yet hopeful addition to National WWII Museum addresses the conflict’s world-shaping legacy

Related Stories

Russian Drone Attack Causes Destruction in Kyiv Apartment Block Amid Ceasefire

Russian Drone Attack Causes Destruction in Kyiv Apartment Block Amid Ceasefire

China’s Xi Warns Trump About Taiwan at Beijing Summit

China’s Xi Warns Trump About Taiwan at Beijing Summit

Trump and Xi Emphasize Importance of US-China Relationship

Trump and Xi Emphasize Importance of US-China Relationship

Entertainment

Pro-Palestine Chants Disrupt Israel’s Eurovision Performance in Vienna Semi-Final 1

Pro-Palestine Chants Disrupt Israel’s Eurovision Performance in Vienna Semi-Final

NYC Exhibit Showcases 3.5 Million Epstein Files to Expose U.S. Corruption 2

NYC Exhibit Showcases 3.5 Million Epstein Files to Expose U.S. Corruption

Chinese Firm Unveils ‘Transformer’ Style Manned Robot GD01 3

Chinese Firm Unveils ‘Transformer’ Style Manned Robot GD01

Cannes Juror Paul Laverty Condemns Hollywood’s Boycott of Actors Over Gaza War Views 4

Cannes Juror Paul Laverty Condemns Hollywood’s Boycott of Actors Over Gaza War Views

Barcelona’s Lamine Yamal Waves Palestinian Flag During Team Parade 5

Barcelona’s Lamine Yamal Waves Palestinian Flag During Team Parade

Gaza Filmmakers Condemn BBC Following Bafta Win for Shelved Documentary 6

Gaza Filmmakers Condemn BBC Following Bafta Win for Shelved Documentary

Celebrated Naturalist David Attenborough Marks 100th Birthday 7

Celebrated Naturalist David Attenborough Marks 100th Birthday

Top News

Latvian Prime Minister Evika Silina Resigns Following Controversial Drone Incidents

Latvian Prime Minister Evika Silina Resigns Following Controversial Drone Incidents

Key Topics on the Table During Lebanon-Israel Direct Negotiations

Key Topics on the Table During Lebanon-Israel Direct Negotiations

Russian Drone Attack Causes Destruction in Kyiv Apartment Block Amid Ceasefire

Russian Drone Attack Causes Destruction in Kyiv Apartment Block Amid Ceasefire

UK Health Secretary Wes Streeting Resigns Citing Lack of Confidence in Prime Minister Keir Starmer

UK Health Secretary Wes Streeting Resigns Citing Lack of Confidence in Prime Minister Keir Starmer

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Youtube
  • tiktok
Editor: Nur M Tofader, Office: 250 Park Avenue, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10177 & Tell: 718 893 0002 (Office), 7188441300, +1212 401 6266, e-mail: Info@millenniuamtv24.com, e-mail: Info@millenniuamnews24.com, Copyright © Millennium News 24/7 | DarkNews by AF themes.