Skip to content
August 20, 2026
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Youtube
  • tiktok
MILLENNIUM NEWS 24/7

MILLENNIUM NEWS 24/7

Bridging The Community’s World Wide

  • Home
  • IP TV LIVE
  • U.S.News
  • LOCAL ELECTION
  • State News
    • Alabama
    • Alaska
    • Arizona
    • Arkansas
    • California
    • Colorado
    • Connecticut
    • Delaware
    • Florida
    • Georgia
    • Hawaii
    • Idaho
    • Illinois
    • Indiana
    • Iowa
    • Kansas
    • Kentucky
    • Louisiana
    • Maryland
    • Massachusetts
    • Michigan
    • Maine
    • Minnesota
    • Mississippi
    • Missouri
    • Montana
    • Nebraska
    • Nevada
    • New Hampshire
    • New Jersey
    • New Mexico
    • New York
    • North Carolina
    • North Dakota
    • Oregon
    • Pennsylvania
    • Rhode Island
    • South Carolina
    • South Dakota
    • Tennessee
    • Texas
    • Virginia
    • Washington
    • West Virginia
    • U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Weather
  • Business
  • Health News
  • Urban Cultural Programs
  • ADVERTISEMENT
  • About Us
  • Contact us
Live TV

Trump administration plans to slash all but a fraction of USAID jobs, officials say

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration presented a plan Thursday to dramatically cut staffing worldwide for U.S. aid projects as part of its dismantling of the U.S. Agency for International Development, leaving fewer than 300 workers out of thousands.

Late Thursday, federal workers associations filed suit asking a federal court to stop the shutdown, arguing that President Donald Trump lacks the authority to shut down an agency enshrined in congressional legislation.

Two current USAID employees and one former senior USAID official told The Associated Press of the administration’s plan, presented to remaining senior officials of the agency Thursday. They spoke on condition of anonymity due to a Trump administration order barring USAID staffers from talking to anyone outside their agency.

The plan would leave fewer than 300 staffers on the job out of what are currently 8,000 direct hires and contractors. They, along with an unknown number of 5,000 locally hired international staffers abroad, would run the few life-saving programs that the administration says it intends to keep going for the time being.

It was not immediately clear whether the reduction to 300 would be permanent or temporary, potentially allowing more workers to return after what the Trump administration says is a review of which aid and development programs it wants to resume.

The administration earlier this week gave almost all USAID staffers posted overseas 30 days, starting Friday, to return to the U.S., with the government paying for their travel and moving costs. Workers who choose to stay longer, unless they received a specific hardship waiver, might have to cover their own expenses, a notice on the USAID website said late Thursday.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio said during a trip to the Dominican Republic on Thursday that the U.S. government will continue providing foreign aid. “But it is going to be foreign aid that makes sense and is aligned with our national interest,” he told reporters.

The Trump administration and billionaire ally Elon Musk, who is running a budget-cutting Department of Government Efficiency, have targeted USAID hardest so far in an unprecedented challenge of the federal government and many of its programs.

Since Trump’s Jan. 20 inauguration, a sweeping funding freeze has shut down most of the agency’s programs worldwide, and almost all of its workers have been placed on administrative leave or furloughed. Musk and Trump have spoken of eliminating USAID as an independent agency and moving surviving programs under the State Department.

Democratic lawmakers and others call the move illegal without congressional approval.

The same argument was made by the American Foreign Service Association and the American Federation of Government Employees in their lawsuit, which asks the federal court in Washington to compel the reopening of USAID’s buildings, return its staffers to work and restore funding.

Government officials “failed to acknowledge the catastrophic consequences of their actions, both as they pertain to American workers, the lives of millions around the world, and to US national interests,” the suit says.

About Author

Habib Habib

See author's posts

Post navigation

Previous Bangladeshi protesters storm and destroy home linked to ex PM Hasina
Next Judge temporarily blocks Trump plan offering incentives for federal workers to resign

Related Stories

US Charges Woman for Allegedly Plotting Attack on New York State Capitol

US Charges Woman for Allegedly Plotting Attack on New York State Capitol

Pakistan’s Former PM Imran Khan Moved From Jail to Hospital

Pakistan’s Former PM Imran Khan Moved From Jail to Hospital

Jewish-American Activist Barred by Israel Labels Settler Violence as ‘State Terror’

Jewish-American Activist Barred by Israel Labels Settler Violence as ‘State Terror’

Entertainment

Kennedy Center Board Delays Restoration of Trump’s Name Amid Court Order Controversy 1

Kennedy Center Board Delays Restoration of Trump’s Name Amid Court Order Controversy

Angelique Kidjo Makes History with Hollywood Walk of Fame Star 2

Angelique Kidjo Makes History with Hollywood Walk of Fame Star

Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Begins Thirty Years After His Death 3

Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Begins Thirty Years After His Death

‘Truth or fiction’: US trial of Tupac Shakur’s accused killer begins 4

‘Truth or fiction’: US trial of Tupac Shakur’s accused killer begins

The Trial of Duane ‘Keffe D’ Davis: Three Decades Since Tupac Shakur’s Death 5

The Trial of Duane ‘Keffe D’ Davis: Three Decades Since Tupac Shakur’s Death

Kennedy Center Votes to Restore Trump’s Name to Venue While Planning Extensive Renovations 6

Kennedy Center Votes to Restore Trump’s Name to Venue While Planning Extensive Renovations

Eurovision to Ban Countries at War from Hosting Contest: Implications Explored 7

Eurovision to Ban Countries at War from Hosting Contest: Implications Explored

Top News

US Charges Woman for Allegedly Plotting Attack on New York State Capitol

US Charges Woman for Allegedly Plotting Attack on New York State Capitol

The Cost of Rebuilding Family Homes in War-Ravaged Syria

The Cost of Rebuilding Family Homes in War-Ravaged Syria

Pakistan’s Former PM Imran Khan Moved From Jail to Hospital

Pakistan’s Former PM Imran Khan Moved From Jail to Hospital

Landslide at Illegal Gold Mine in Colombia Results in 13 Deaths

Landslide at Illegal Gold Mine in Colombia Results in 13 Deaths

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Youtube
  • tiktok
Editor: Nur M Tofader, Office: 250 Park Avenue, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10177 & Tell: 718 893 0002 (Office), 7188441300, +1212 401 6266, e-mail: Info@millenniuamtv24.com, e-mail: Info@millenniuamnews24.com, Copyright © Millennium News 24/7 | DarkNews by AF themes.