Skip to content
August 30, 2025
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Youtube
  • tiktok
MILLENNIUM NEWS 24/7

MILLENNIUM NEWS 24/7

Bridging The Community’s World Wide

  • Home
  • IP TV LIVE
  • PODCAST
  • U.S.News
  • LOCAL ELECTION
  • State News
    • Alabama
    • Alaska
    • Arizona
    • Arkansas
    • California
    • Colorado
    • Connecticut
    • Delaware
    • Florida
    • Georgia
    • Hawaii
    • Idaho
    • Illinois
    • Indiana
    • Iowa
    • Kansas
    • Kentucky
    • Louisiana
    • Maryland
    • Massachusetts
    • Michigan
    • Maine
    • Minnesota
    • Mississippi
    • Missouri
    • Montana
    • Nebraska
    • Nevada
    • New Hampshire
    • New Jersey
    • New Mexico
    • New York
    • North Carolina
    • North Dakota
    • Oregon
    • Pennsylvania
    • Rhode Island
    • South Carolina
    • South Dakota
    • Tennessee
    • Texas
    • Virginia
    • Washington
    • West Virginia
    • U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Weather
  • Business
  • Health News
  • ADVERTISEMENT
  • About Us
  • Contact us
Live TV

#MeToo struggled to find traction in France. Then Judith Godrèche came forward

CANNES, France — Before Judith Godrèche kickstarted a #MeToo wave in the French industry, she was one of the first prominent actors to go on the record against Harvey Weinstein.

Godrèche was 24 and attending the Cannes Film Festival for the premiere of her film “Ridicule.” Weinstein, who had just acquired the film, invited her to his Hotel du Cap suite to discuss a possible Oscar campaign. Weinstein, she recounted to The New York Times in 2017, forced himself on her and she fled.

That was 1996. Now, Godrèche is in Cannes at another pivotal juncture in the #MeToo movement. On Wednesday, months after she alleged two prominent filmmakers sexually abused her when she was a teen, Godrèche premiered her poignant short, “Moi Aussi” (“Me Too”).

“It’s extremely meaningful for me to be there because that’s where Harvey tried to rape me,” Godrèche said in an interview. “But honestly, there are so many places in the world and so many movie sets and locations and moments in my actress life that were not OK. If I was to see the world only through this perspective anytime I’m going through something related to filmmaking, I think I’d just run away and stop.”

Instead, Godrèche has emerged as the leading figure in France’s #MeToo movement. In February, Godrèche filed official complaints against director Benoît Jacquot for “rape with constraint,” and against filmmaker Jacques Doillon for “rape with violence” during the making of 1989’s “The 15 Year Old Girl.” Both men have denied the allegations.

In France, which had been resistant to the #MeToo movement, the allegations sent new shockwaves through the industry. French Culture Minister Rachida Dati criticized the country’s cinema for “collectively turning a blind eye for decades” to sexual violence. At the César Awards, France’s equivalent of the Oscars, Godrèche asked the audience: “Is it possible that we can look the truth in the eye?”

In the aftermath of Godrèche’s strong statements, more women have come forward, and Cannes organizers are girding for more revelations during the festival.

“It’s a wonderful thing that women are now speaking out,” actor Léa Seydoux told reporters in Cannes on Wednesday. “Things are clearly changing and it was high time it did.”

Godrèche has found herself hailed as a hero by many and criticized as a “puritan” by others.

“For me, it’s quite a bizarre time,” Godrèche says. “There’s so much hate and weird fantasies projected at me. People are looking at me like I’m a radioactive thing.”

After Godrèche came forward with her allegations against Jacquot and Doillon, she created an email address as a repository for anyone who had experienced sexual abuse. Within 15 days, she received some 5,000 testimonies. On March 23, about a thousand of those who wrote assembled on a boulevard in Paris.

Godrèche, 52, turned that gathering into “Moi Aussi,” dedicated to “all those who one day finally have been able to tell their story” and “all those who still live in silence.” It was to premiere Wednesday evening in the opening ceremony of Cannes’ Un Certain Regard sidebar.

Godrèche walked the festival’s red carpet earlier in the day with the film’s collaborators, ahead of the premiere of “Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga.” Together, they stood on the steps of the Palais des Festivals with hands covering their mouths.

Cannes has seen several dramatic demonstrations for women in film in recent years. In a 2018 Time’s Up event, 82 women — including Cate Blanchett and Kristen Stewart — stood on the Palais steps in protest. The following year, Thierry Frémaux, Cannes artistic director, signed a gender parity pledge at a rally.

But such moments have been outliers in France. In 2018, Catherine Deneuve was a signatory on open letter published in Le Monde that argued the #MeToo movement had gone too far. In 2020, when Roman Polanski won best director at the Césars, actor Adèle Haenel — who that year said she had been sexually harassed by the French director Christophe Ruggia between the ages 12 to 15 — walked out of the ceremony. Ruggia has denied the allegation. Last year, Haenel said she was quitting the French film industry altogether over its “complacency toward sexual aggressors.”

Polanski, who was charged with raping a 13-year-old girl in 1977 and pleaded guilty to a lesser charge, is still wanted in the United States decades after he fled before his sentencing.

“We have a way of idealizing and protecting auteurs and putting them on such a pedestal that they become untouchable,” says Godrèche of French attitudes about cinema. “Defining a filmmaker as an author makes it possible for him to identify as a genius, and be above laws and norms.”

The French film industry has also been shaken by multiple sexual misconduct accusations against the internationally known Gérard Depardieu. The 75-year-old actor is to stand trial in October over the alleged sexual assaults in 2021 of two women on the set of a film. Depardieu has denied it.

About Author

Habib Habib

See author's posts

Post navigation

Previous Anitta defends her Afro-Brazilian faith after new music video costs her some followers
Next Jayson Tatum scores 25 to lead Celtics past Cavaliers 113-98 and into 3rd consecutive East finals

Related Stories

Court finds Trump’s tariffs an illegal use of emergency power, but leaves them in place for now

Court finds Trump’s tariffs an illegal use of emergency power, but leaves them in place for now

Abrego Garcia’s lawyers worry he can’t get a fair trial and request gag order for top US officials

Abrego Garcia’s lawyers worry he can’t get a fair trial and request gag order for top US officials

Trump blocks $4.9B in foreign aid Congress OK’d, using maneuver last seen nearly 50 years ago

Trump blocks $4.9B in foreign aid Congress OK’d, using maneuver last seen nearly 50 years ago

Entertainment

Julia Roberts’ ‘After the Hunt’ stirs #MeToo debate at Venice Film Festival 1

Julia Roberts’ ‘After the Hunt’ stirs #MeToo debate at Venice Film Festival

Rodion Shchedrin, the celebrated Russian composer, has died at age 92 2

Rodion Shchedrin, the celebrated Russian composer, has died at age 92

James Cameron on two decades of making ‘Avatar’ and the future he sees for movies 3

James Cameron on two decades of making ‘Avatar’ and the future he sees for movies

Katy Perry testifies that she’s seeking ‘justice’ at trial over $15 million mansion 4

Katy Perry testifies that she’s seeking ‘justice’ at trial over $15 million mansion

Lil Nas X charged with attacking police officers as he walked naked on Los Angeles street 5

Lil Nas X charged with attacking police officers as he walked naked on Los Angeles street

Pennsylvania’s Chautauqua is a summertime haven for lifelong learners 6

Pennsylvania’s Chautauqua is a summertime haven for lifelong learners

Mariah the Scientist’s ‘Hearts Sold Separately’ mixes love potions and pensive emotions 7

Mariah the Scientist’s ‘Hearts Sold Separately’ mixes love potions and pensive emotions

Top News

Court finds Trump’s tariffs an illegal use of emergency power, but leaves them in place for now

Court finds Trump’s tariffs an illegal use of emergency power, but leaves them in place for now

Texas governor signs new voting maps pushed by Trump to gain five GOP seats in Congress in 2026

Texas governor signs new voting maps pushed by Trump to gain five GOP seats in Congress in 2026

Father of 8-year-old boy killed in Minneapolis church shooting wants him remembered for his love

Father of 8-year-old boy killed in Minneapolis church shooting wants him remembered for his love

Minneapolis, a series of shootings and the grim realities of a tough summer

Minneapolis, a series of shootings and the grim realities of a tough summer

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Youtube
  • tiktok
Editor: Nur M Tofader, Office: 250 Park Avenue, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10177 & Tell: 718 893 0002 (Office), 7188441300, +1212 401 6266, e-mail: Info@millenniuamtv24.com, e-mail: Info@millenniuamnews24.com, Copyright © Millennium News 24/7 | DarkNews by AF themes.