Skip to content
September 1, 2025
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Youtube
  • tiktok
MILLENNIUM NEWS 24/7

MILLENNIUM NEWS 24/7

Bridging The Community’s World Wide

  • Home
  • IP TV LIVE
  • PODCAST
  • U.S.News
  • LOCAL ELECTION
  • State News
    • Alabama
    • Alaska
    • Arizona
    • Arkansas
    • California
    • Colorado
    • Connecticut
    • Delaware
    • Florida
    • Georgia
    • Hawaii
    • Idaho
    • Illinois
    • Indiana
    • Iowa
    • Kansas
    • Kentucky
    • Louisiana
    • Maryland
    • Massachusetts
    • Michigan
    • Maine
    • Minnesota
    • Mississippi
    • Missouri
    • Montana
    • Nebraska
    • Nevada
    • New Hampshire
    • New Jersey
    • New Mexico
    • New York
    • North Carolina
    • North Dakota
    • Oregon
    • Pennsylvania
    • Rhode Island
    • South Carolina
    • South Dakota
    • Tennessee
    • Texas
    • Virginia
    • Washington
    • West Virginia
    • U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Weather
  • Business
  • Health News
  • ADVERTISEMENT
  • About Us
  • Contact us
Live TV

Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant starts 3rd release of treated radioactive wastewater into the sea

The tsunami-damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant began its third release of treated and diluted radioactive wastewater into the sea Thursday after Japanese officials said the two earlier releases ended smoothly.

The plant operator discharged 7,800 tons of treated water in each of the first two batches and plans to release the same amount in the current batch through Nov. 20.

Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings said its workers activated the first of the two pumps to dilute the treated water with large amounts of seawater, gradually sending the mixture into the Pacific Ocean through an undersea tunnel for an offshore release.

The plant began the first wastewater release in August and will continue to do so for decades. About 1.33 million tons of radioactive wastewater is stored in about 1,000 tanks at the plant. It has accumulated since the plant was crippled by the massive earthquake and tsunami that struck northeastern Japan in 2011.

TEPCO and the government say discharging the water into the sea is unavoidable because the tanks are nearly full and the plan needs to be decommissioned.

The wastewater discharges have been strongly opposed by fishing groups and neighboring countries including South Korea, where hundreds of people staged protests. China immediately banned all imports of Japanese seafood, badly hurting Japanese seafood producers and exporters.

Prime Minister Fumio Kishida told reporters Thursday that Japan has consistently provided transparent and scientific explanations about the discharge and gained understanding from many members of the international community, but “some countries are restricting Japanese seafood without scientific bases.”

“We must continue to patiently explain to those countries bilaterally to request lifting of the restrictions,” Kishida said. “And it is also important to firmly show Japan’s position at international meetings” and bodies such as the World Trade Organization.

Japan’s government set up a relief fund to help find new markets and reduce the impact of China’s seafood ban, while the central and local governments have led a campaign to eat fish and support Fukushima, now joined by many consumers.

The water is treated to remove as much radioactivity as possible then greatly diluted with seawater before it is released. TEPCO and the government say the process is safe, but some scientists say the continuing release is unprecedented and should be monitored closely.

So far, results of marine samplings by TEPCO and the government have detected tritium, which they say is inseparable by existing technology, at levels far smaller than the World Health Organization’s standard for drinking water.

In a recent setback, two plant workers were splashed with radioactive waste while cleaning piping at the water treatment facility and were hospitalized for exposure. The workers have since been released and were getting monitored, TEPCO said. It said none of the workers ingested any of the waste.

The International Atomic Energy Agency has concluded that if the release is carried out as planned, it would have a negligible impact on the environment, marine life and human health. IAEA mission officials said last month they were reassured by the smooth operation so far.

About Author

dreamboy

See author's posts

Post navigation

Previous Chinese gather and lay flowers despite heavy security as former Premier Li Keqiang is laid to rest
Next Aid agencies warn of chaotic and desperate scenes among Afghans returning from Pakistan

Related Stories

Full of expectations, Arch Manning struggles as top-ranked Texas falls at No. 3 Ohio State

Full of expectations, Arch Manning struggles as top-ranked Texas falls at No. 3 Ohio State

Medvedev splits with longtime coach after US Open meltdown

Medvedev splits with longtime coach after US Open meltdown

Paid leaves of Guardians pitchers Clase and Ortiz extended as MLB continues gambling investigation

Paid leaves of Guardians pitchers Clase and Ortiz extended as MLB continues gambling investigation

Entertainment

Lady Gaga will perform during the MTV Video Music Awards. Here’s everything to know about the show 1

Lady Gaga will perform during the MTV Video Music Awards. Here’s everything to know about the show

Julia Roberts’ ‘After the Hunt’ stirs #MeToo debate at Venice Film Festival 2

Julia Roberts’ ‘After the Hunt’ stirs #MeToo debate at Venice Film Festival

Rodion Shchedrin, the celebrated Russian composer, has died at age 92 3

Rodion Shchedrin, the celebrated Russian composer, has died at age 92

James Cameron on two decades of making ‘Avatar’ and the future he sees for movies 4

James Cameron on two decades of making ‘Avatar’ and the future he sees for movies

Katy Perry testifies that she’s seeking ‘justice’ at trial over $15 million mansion 5

Katy Perry testifies that she’s seeking ‘justice’ at trial over $15 million mansion

Lil Nas X charged with attacking police officers as he walked naked on Los Angeles street 6

Lil Nas X charged with attacking police officers as he walked naked on Los Angeles street

Pennsylvania’s Chautauqua is a summertime haven for lifelong learners 7

Pennsylvania’s Chautauqua is a summertime haven for lifelong learners

Top News

Full of expectations, Arch Manning struggles as top-ranked Texas falls at No. 3 Ohio State

Full of expectations, Arch Manning struggles as top-ranked Texas falls at No. 3 Ohio State

Medvedev splits with longtime coach after US Open meltdown

Medvedev splits with longtime coach after US Open meltdown

Paid leaves of Guardians pitchers Clase and Ortiz extended as MLB continues gambling investigation

Paid leaves of Guardians pitchers Clase and Ortiz extended as MLB continues gambling investigation

Flotilla leaves Barcelona in biggest attempt yet to break Israeli blockade of Gaza

Flotilla leaves Barcelona in biggest attempt yet to break Israeli blockade of Gaza

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Youtube
  • tiktok
Editor: Nur M Tofader, Office: 250 Park Avenue, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10177 & Tell: 718 893 0002 (Office), 7188441300, +1212 401 6266, e-mail: Info@millenniuamtv24.com, e-mail: Info@millenniuamnews24.com, Copyright © Millennium News 24/7 | DarkNews by AF themes.