Skip to content
August 22, 2026
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Youtube
  • tiktok
MILLENNIUM NEWS 24/7

MILLENNIUM NEWS 24/7

Bridging The Community’s World Wide

  • Home
  • IP TV LIVE
  • U.S.News
  • LOCAL ELECTION
  • State News
    • Alabama
    • Alaska
    • Arizona
    • Arkansas
    • California
    • Colorado
    • Connecticut
    • Delaware
    • Florida
    • Georgia
    • Hawaii
    • Idaho
    • Illinois
    • Indiana
    • Iowa
    • Kansas
    • Kentucky
    • Louisiana
    • Maryland
    • Massachusetts
    • Michigan
    • Maine
    • Minnesota
    • Mississippi
    • Missouri
    • Montana
    • Nebraska
    • Nevada
    • New Hampshire
    • New Jersey
    • New Mexico
    • New York
    • North Carolina
    • North Dakota
    • Oregon
    • Pennsylvania
    • Rhode Island
    • South Carolina
    • South Dakota
    • Tennessee
    • Texas
    • Virginia
    • Washington
    • West Virginia
    • U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Weather
  • Business
  • Health News
  • Urban Cultural Programs
  • ADVERTISEMENT
  • About Us
  • Contact us
Live TV

“Labuschagne pretty much a lock-in in the top-four” – McDonald

FILE PHOTO: Cricket - Fifth One Day International - South Africa v Australia - Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg, South Africa - September 17, 2023 Australia's Marnus Labuschagne in action REUTERS/Siphiwe Sibeko/File Photo

Marnus Labuschagne came in as a last-minute replacement during Australia’s ODI series against South Africa, subbing in for Cameron Green in the first ODI as a concussion substitute. Nevertheless, his performances since then have been such that Labuschagne, who was not part of the preliminary squad for the World Cup, will now find his name among the first entries in the Australia XI during the competition in India.

Labuschagne scored 80 not out and 124 in the two wins Australia managed in South Africa before losing three on the trot, while he also found form in India in the Rajkot ODI, which his side won after losing the first two matches. Speaking about Labuschagne’s role in the scheme of things for the World Cup, head coach Andrew McDonald said he is “pretty much a lock in” among the Australian top four.

“It’s been a really good return after being dropped and not included in that South African squad. We were pretty clear on the way that we felt Marn needed to play to fit into the team. He went away and worked on that.” said McDonald. “I think he may have elaborated on that several days ago where he’s gone away. He’s had a think about it, he’s come back, and he’s come back a different player. There’s no doubt about that.

McDonald further elaborated on why Labuschagne was left out earlier, and credited him with extremely good work ethic, which helped him force his way back into the side, with a helping hand from serendipitous fate.

“We saw in the practice game against Pakistan, the early intent, the scoring options, you know, his innings are starting with great intent. And we love seeing that and we always knew he was capable of that but over an extended period of time, prior to his dropping, he wasn’t doing that.

“He was getting that information. And as I said full credit to him. He’s gone away and worked on his game and it’s a great story. If you’re looking for whether he’s a certain starter; if he’s not in your team, I don’t know who else you’re gonna put in there. So I think he’s pretty much a lock-in in that top four and how we structure up is the final question that we need to answer.”

Australia, meanwhile, have a concern in the form of Marcus Stonis’s availability for the opening game, with the all-rounder nursing a hamstring complaint. Adam Zampa, meanwhile, is good to go, said McDonald, after the legspinner had pulled up sore earlier.

“Zampa is not as big of a concern. His is more workload management. He did pull up sore from the second game in the ODI series, but nothing significant. Marcus Stoinis, a little bit different. He’s got a slight hamstring complaint at this stage. So that’s why he missed the practice games and he’ll be touch and go for the first game against India. We’ve got the main session today and then got another hit out tomorrow. He’ll go through his work there and we’ll see whether he’s available for selection for game one, but at the moment he wasn’t fit and available for those practice games.

About Marcus Stoinis’s injury status, McDonald said: “That happened, after the Mohali game – he pulled up a little bit sore. And then further investigation led to that being a slight hamstring (strain). And then he’s just rehabbing. As I said, he’ll be touch and go for game one. He certainly hasn’t been ruled out, but we weren’t prepared to risk in those practice games. So he’s probably been slow, played a little bit with the view to these next couple of days being really important for him to press for selection for game one, and we’ll see how that unfolds.”

Regarding Travis Head, who is part of the squad despite not fully recovering from a fractured arm, McDonald said he will continue his preparation training at home, with an update expected within a week.

“We’ll get updates from Trav pretty much every day. He’s pretty engaged with the group. Official updates, they’ll sort of happen, I think it’s around sort of the 11th or 12th of October where there’ll be another checkpoint with how he’s travelling with that sort of bone healing and that’ll probably give us a lot more information as to the final timeframes and when he potentially can join the group. Until we get that information then he’ll remain at home training and sort of prepping his body as much as he can, back home.”

McDonald was also pleased with the way Maxwell has progressed so far since his return and expressed confidence in his continued availability for the World Cup. “Yes, so far, so good. As I said, that Pakistan game, the way that he pulled up on the back of that was really positive. And we’ve got some decent gaps in between as well, which is unlike the sort of bilateral series where it’s quite condensed with short turnarounds. In a World Cup you’ve got a bit more space, a bit more time for recovery. So we feel as though he’ll be able to cope with the demands of what the World Cup presents.”

About Author

dreamboy

See author's posts

Post navigation

Previous Stats: Conway, Ravindra sizzle after England’s rare ODI feat
Next Cricket World Cup 2023: Unbeaten Hundreds By Devon Conway, Rachin Ravindra Spur New Zealand To 9-Wicket Win Over England

Related Stories

What to Know About the Freedom 250 Grand Prix, Trump’s Capital Car Race

What to Know About the Freedom 250 Grand Prix, Trump’s Capital Car Race

Jannik Sinner to Miss US Open Due to Knee Injury

Jannik Sinner to Miss US Open Due to Knee Injury

Harry Kane Clinches Golden Shoe Award for the Second Time

Harry Kane Clinches Golden Shoe Award for the Second Time

Entertainment

Kennedy Center Board Delays Restoration of Trump’s Name Amid Court Order Controversy 1

Kennedy Center Board Delays Restoration of Trump’s Name Amid Court Order Controversy

Angelique Kidjo Makes History with Hollywood Walk of Fame Star 2

Angelique Kidjo Makes History with Hollywood Walk of Fame Star

Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Begins Thirty Years After His Death 3

Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Begins Thirty Years After His Death

‘Truth or fiction’: US trial of Tupac Shakur’s accused killer begins 4

‘Truth or fiction’: US trial of Tupac Shakur’s accused killer begins

The Trial of Duane ‘Keffe D’ Davis: Three Decades Since Tupac Shakur’s Death 5

The Trial of Duane ‘Keffe D’ Davis: Three Decades Since Tupac Shakur’s Death

Kennedy Center Votes to Restore Trump’s Name to Venue While Planning Extensive Renovations 6

Kennedy Center Votes to Restore Trump’s Name to Venue While Planning Extensive Renovations

Eurovision to Ban Countries at War from Hosting Contest: Implications Explored 7

Eurovision to Ban Countries at War from Hosting Contest: Implications Explored

Top News

US Imposes 50 Percent Tariffs on Canadian Goods After Failed Trade Talks

US Imposes 50 Percent Tariffs on Canadian Goods After Failed Trade Talks

At Least 13 Tunisians Missing After Migrant Boat Capsizes En Route to Italy

At Least 13 Tunisians Missing After Migrant Boat Capsizes En Route to Italy

Nigeria and the Sahel: Navigating a Growing Security Divide

Nigeria and the Sahel: Navigating a Growing Security Divide

Palestinian Teen Shot and Killed in West Bank Attack, UN Responds

Palestinian Teen Shot and Killed in West Bank Attack, UN Responds

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Youtube
  • tiktok
Editor: Nur M Tofader, Office: 250 Park Avenue, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10177 & Tell: 718 893 0002 (Office), 7188441300, +1212 401 6266, e-mail: Info@millenniuamtv24.com, e-mail: Info@millenniuamnews24.com, Copyright © Millennium News 24/7 | DarkNews by AF themes.