Skip to content
May 22, 2026
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Youtube
  • tiktok
MILLENNIUM NEWS 24/7

MILLENNIUM NEWS 24/7

Bridging The Community’s World Wide

  • Home
  • IP TV LIVE
  • U.S.News
  • LOCAL ELECTION
  • State News
    • Alabama
    • Alaska
    • Arizona
    • Arkansas
    • California
    • Colorado
    • Connecticut
    • Delaware
    • Florida
    • Georgia
    • Hawaii
    • Idaho
    • Illinois
    • Indiana
    • Iowa
    • Kansas
    • Kentucky
    • Louisiana
    • Maryland
    • Massachusetts
    • Michigan
    • Maine
    • Minnesota
    • Mississippi
    • Missouri
    • Montana
    • Nebraska
    • Nevada
    • New Hampshire
    • New Jersey
    • New Mexico
    • New York
    • North Carolina
    • North Dakota
    • Oregon
    • Pennsylvania
    • Rhode Island
    • South Carolina
    • South Dakota
    • Tennessee
    • Texas
    • Virginia
    • Washington
    • West Virginia
    • U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Weather
  • Business
  • Health News
  • ADVERTISEMENT
  • About Us
  • Contact us
Live TV

Shortened Olympic torch relay starts for Beijing Games

BEIJING  — The three-day torch relay for the Beijing Olympics, shortened considerably because of concerns about the coronavirus, started Wednesday with an 80-year-old former speedskater carrying the flame.

The relay opened at the Olympic Foreign Park. Luo Zhihuan, the country’s first internationally competitive speedskater, ran the first leg.

The torch will be carried through the three Olympics zones, starting with downtown Beijing before heading to Yanqing district and finally Zhangjiakou in neighboring Hebei Province.

The Beijing Games have already been impacted on a scale similar to that experienced by Tokyo during last year’s Summer Olympics. China says only selected spectators will be allowed to attend events, and Olympic athletes, officials, staff and journalists are required to stay within a bubble that keeps them from contact with the general public.

Beijing, with its 20 million residents, has experienced only a handful of COVID-19 cases and reported just two new ones on Wednesday. However, in keeping with China’s “zero tolerance” approach to the pandemic, strict rules require lockdowns and mass testing when any real or suspected case is discovered.

The truncated program seemed to have little effect on Luo, who after receiving the torch from Vice Premier Han Zheng said it was the realization of decades-long aspiration.

“I’ve never participated in the Winter Olympics, so I had hoped our country could host the Winter Olympics and I had the dream for nearly 60 years,” said Luo, wearing a red and white jacket marked with No. 1. “Today my dream has come true … How happy I am!”

The opening of the Beijing Games comes only days after the start of the Lunar New Year holiday, China’s biggest annual celebration when millions traditionally travel to their hometowns for family reunions. For the second straight year, the government has advised those living away from home to stay put, and train and plane travel has been curtailed.

Participants in the torch relay have undergone health screenings and have been carefully monitored, starting from two weeks before the event.

Other torchbearers Wednesday include Jing Haipeng, captain of the Chinese Astronaut Corps, and Ye Peijian, a 77-year-old consultant to China’s lunar exploration program.

The scaled-down torch relay is a far cry from 2008, when Beijing sent the Olympic flame on a global journey ahead of hosting that year’s Summer Games. The relay drew protesters against China’s human rights violations and policies in Tibet, Xinjiang and elsewhere, leading to violent confrontations and the cancellation of some overseas stages.

The Winter Games have been beset by similar political controversies, alongside medical considerations.

Six weeks ago, the United States, Britain and several allies said they would not send dignitaries to attend the Beijing Games as a protest against human rights abuses by the Communist Party regime.

About Author

dreamboy

See author's posts

Post navigation

Previous Review: Michael Jackson musical is some thriller, lots bad
Next More winter, Honduras next for US in World Cup qualifier

Related Stories

NYC Launches Lottery for $50 World Cup Football Tickets

NYC Launches Lottery for $50 World Cup Football Tickets

Iran’s World Cup Aspirations Face Challenges Amid US Visa Issues

Iran’s World Cup Aspirations Face Challenges Amid US Visa Issues

Massive Crowds Gather in Tehran to Send Off Iran’s World Cup Team

Massive Crowds Gather in Tehran to Send Off Iran’s World Cup Team

Entertainment

Oscar-winning Director Pedro Almodovar Labels Trump, Netanyahu, and Putin as ‘Monsters’ 1

Oscar-winning Director Pedro Almodovar Labels Trump, Netanyahu, and Putin as ‘Monsters’

Pro-Palestine Chants Disrupt Israel’s Eurovision Performance in Vienna Semi-Final 2

Pro-Palestine Chants Disrupt Israel’s Eurovision Performance in Vienna Semi-Final

NYC Exhibit Showcases 3.5 Million Epstein Files to Expose U.S. Corruption 3

NYC Exhibit Showcases 3.5 Million Epstein Files to Expose U.S. Corruption

Chinese Firm Unveils ‘Transformer’ Style Manned Robot GD01 4

Chinese Firm Unveils ‘Transformer’ Style Manned Robot GD01

Cannes Juror Paul Laverty Condemns Hollywood’s Boycott of Actors Over Gaza War Views 5

Cannes Juror Paul Laverty Condemns Hollywood’s Boycott of Actors Over Gaza War Views

Barcelona’s Lamine Yamal Waves Palestinian Flag During Team Parade 6

Barcelona’s Lamine Yamal Waves Palestinian Flag During Team Parade

Gaza Filmmakers Condemn BBC Following Bafta Win for Shelved Documentary 7

Gaza Filmmakers Condemn BBC Following Bafta Win for Shelved Documentary

Top News

Iran War Day 84: US-Iran Talks Advance Amid Mediation Efforts

Iran War Day 84: US-Iran Talks Advance Amid Mediation Efforts

US Raises Threat of Military Action Against Cuba Amid National Security Concerns

US Raises Threat of Military Action Against Cuba Amid National Security Concerns

Thousands Attend Funeral Prayers for San Diego Mosque Attack Victims

Thousands Attend Funeral Prayers for San Diego Mosque Attack Victims

Turkish Opposition Leader Ozgur Ozel Vows to Stay After Court Ousts Him

Turkish Opposition Leader Ozgur Ozel Vows to Stay After Court Ousts Him

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Youtube
  • tiktok
Editor: Nur M Tofader, Office: 250 Park Avenue, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10177 & Tell: 718 893 0002 (Office), 7188441300, +1212 401 6266, e-mail: Info@millenniuamtv24.com, e-mail: Info@millenniuamnews24.com, Copyright © Millennium News 24/7 | DarkNews by AF themes.